Monday, July 1, 2013

Some recent paintings after a long hiatus.

I love to add lots of color to my shadows. Watercolor is especially good at creating luminous transparent shadows.

Near my house in Mt LEbanon PA, and directly across the street from a bustling shopping mall, is a restored early 19th century farm complete with out buildings. this view depicts the edge of the summer kitchen.

Every once in a while as you stroll the street of a big city you need to force yourself to look up! very often you will be greeted with something wonderful.

One of the beach access pavillions in the sleepy resort town of Seaside, Florida.


This image was part of a series of character paintings that I did in Sewickely Pennsylvania. I am a Principal and Chief Illustrator for Urban Design Associates and we often have the opportunity to work on beautiful pieces of property. Trying to catch the first glimpse of the morning sun through the trees was especially challenging in watercolor. 

This composition is an exersise in manipulating the eye level of a painting to dynamic effect. I saw this old house along the road in Virginia and loved the way the white house punctuated the view.

This is a house in Oxford MD that I photographed during 2012 Plein Air Easton. I love the intimacy of these narrow side yards filled with all different color plants.

2 comments: