Thursday, April 15, 2010

New/old paper


Just the other day, while loking through my supplies, I rediscovered an old block of watercolor paper I had purchased in gerrmany about 20 years ago called Hahnemuhle Torchon. I t has a distinctive texture and reacts a lot like standard hot press watercolor paper. I like to paint on surfaces that are not fully absorbent and allow the brush to leave interesting shapes on the paper. Whats so cool about this stuff is that it lets the color stay bright and fresh but doesn't need the amount of dry time as the typical hot press paper. it also has a much brighter white surface. Another of my favorites is Strathmore wet media paper which seems to react in a similar fashion.

The Hanemuhle paper is available at www.nycentralartsupply.com. be sure not to get the digital printing paper but rather the artists paper.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment